Canada Soccer’s Wellness to World Cup Long-Term Player Development (LTPD) model is designed to optimize Canadian excellence and lifelong wellness through soccer. By ensuring fun playing experiences for children, a suitable player development pathway for youth, and opportunities for lifelong participation for all players regardless of age, gender, ability or disability, LTPD provides a framework for the growth and success of the beautiful game in Canada.
SurDel Girls Soccer is pleased to be following the Wellness to World Cup and Long Term Player Development model with guidance from our head coach. For more information, please visit Canada Soccer.
Long-Term Player Development (LTPD)
LTPD is a program for soccer development, training, competition and recovery based on biological age (physical maturity) rather than chronological age. It is player-centered, coach-driven and supported by administration, sport science and sponsors alike.
- Eliminates gaps in the player development system
- Guides planning for optimal athlete performance at all stages
- Provides a framework for program alignement and integration, from volunteer club coaches to national and professional teams
- Follows scientific principles and pratical coaching experiences
|Benefits for Players & Parents||Benefits for Coaches & Clubs|
|Better understanding of what makes a good soccer program|| Information and education on effective coaching and practice
|More players learning at their level and having fun||Guidelines for appropriate game structures|
| Appropriate game and league structures (e.g. size of balls,
goals, fields, etc.)
|Guidelines for appropriate competition levels|
| More opportunity for players to realize their athletic
| Established pathways for player development for all levels
of ability and ambition
| More coaches who are knowledgeable in leading safe,
| Affirmation of best practices for coaches and club
Benefits for all:
- Competitive behaviour is fostered in players, while over-competitive behaviour is discouraged in adults (coaches and parents)
- Players stay involved in the sport throughout their lives (as players, coaches, referees or club administrators)
- Players, parents, coaches and administrators understand that players are unique and therefore different in interest and aptitude
- Soccer grows, and lifelong wellness is promoted for players of all ages, genders and levels of ability and disability
For more information on Long Term Player Development, please download the Wellness to World Cup Matrix and the Wellness to World Cup Brochure.